|Title||141 Ashley Avenue (Edward Sebring House) [f/k/a 139 Ashley Avenue]|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed after 1836. Built by Edward Sebring, president of the State Bank of SC, who also built and lived in the large residence at 268 Calhoun Street. Sebring probably built this house as a tenement after he purchased the site in 1836. The architectural features offer no clues as to the construction date, as they are mainly types used from the late 1830s through the Civil War period. The house is a typical Charleston single house, consisting of 2½ stories of brick, stuccoed, with a gable roof and two tiers of piazzas. Piazza entrance is rather narrow and has a transom and a door surround in the Greek Revival Style, with "ears" of wooden molding. Columns are plain Doric. Piazzas continue around rear of the house, terminating at a narrow rear wing, one bay square, which is an original feature of the house. Notable features include decorative window cornices of terra cotta on the street facade. Main portion of the house is 5 bays wide, with the central bay on the 1st and 2nd levels, a doorway with multi-light transom and sidelights. (Source: FOHG house history)
File contains FOHG house history ("old"); house history from Information for Guides of Historic Charleston; RMC (title) research notes (1841-1956); newspaper articles including DYKYC (1977); SC Architectural Inventory form (1973); Preservation Society "Preservation Alert," newsletter article, and correspondence related to MUSC's plans for the house; photocopy of a set of documents (map, architectural plans to relocate the building, and photos) presumably submitted in support of BAR request; photocopy of map of MUSC properties.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Object ID #||ASHLEY.141a.001|