|Object ID #||BEDONS.008.001|
|Title||8 Bedon's Alley (Adam Tunno's Outbuilding)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
On the Grand Modell Plat, Bedon's Alley was divided into 4 half acre plots running across to East Bay; 8 Bedon's Alley was in plot #8, which was assigned to Edward Musson in 1681. Most of the small brick houses on the east side of Bedon's Alley were built as outbuildings for the large establishments in Rainbow Row, including 8 Bedon's Alley, which provided service functions for Scottish merchant Adam Tunno's large office and residence at 89 East Bay Street; he had purchased the brick house there probably built ca. 1740. The walls of this house are 2 feet thick on 3 sides and over 3 feet thick on the north wall. The walls seem to date ca. 1780. In digging an opening through the north wall in 1945, a grape shot cannon ball (used during the Civil War) was found imbedded. These structures were rescued in the 1920s and 1930s by Susan Pringle Frost and renovated as individual dwellings with the detailing and landscape treatments in the Colonial Revival style.
File contains FOHG house history (1981); FOHG tour information on the garden (Loutrel Briggs).
No image on file.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
Loutrel Briggs garden
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|