|Title||117 Broad Street (Laurens-Rutledge House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1760; altered ca. 1885-90, 1935. Miller & Fullerton, architect-builders. Built in the Georgian style by James Laurens, brother of Henry Laurens, this house retains only a portion of its original 18th-century appearance. Nonetheless, it has long been celebrated due to its purchase in 1788 by Edward Rutledge, signer of the Declaration of Independence. The five-bay main block with a projecting pediment supported by console brackets and a steep pitched roof survives from the building's early construction as a Georgian double house. Greek Revival piazzas, added first to the east and later to the west end, survive, although the former was partially removed when a wing was added after 1885 by the Wagener family, who made other exterior and interior renovations. Frederick Wagener, who held one of Charleston's largest grocery companies (headquartered at 163 East Bay Street), established the South Carolina West Indian Exposition and maintained this residence; he also used the 18th century house at Lowndes Grove in the upper peninsula. When the house was remodeled again in 1935 it acquired its present Colonial Revival exterior.
File contains FOHG house history (1995) and other narrative histories; newspaper articles (including DYKYC), many relating to the proposed enclosure of the piazzas; handwritten notes and correspondence relating to the BAR's approval of piazza enclosure; National Register Nomination Form; correspondence and documentation regarding proposed use of the house.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
National Register of Historic Places
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||BROAD.117.001|