|Title||9 Broad Street (Shingler Brothers Building)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed 1856. Edward Brickell White, architect. William Pinckney Shingler and T.J. Shingler, partners as the Shingler Brothers "exchange brokers," built this 2 story building in 1856, after receiving permission from adjacent property owners to anchor joists in their brick walls. Edward Brickell White designed the building, with its Italian Romanesque Revival facade of brownstone, executed by the NY stonecutter W.G. Chave. The facade carries the inscription "Exchange Office." The Shingler Brothers speculated in cotton exports. William Pinckney Shingler built the house at 9 Limehouse Street in the same year this building was erected. (He lost that mansion within a year but built an even larger house on the other side of Limehouse Street a year later.)
File contains building history from Information for Guides of Historic Charleston; research notes (staff).
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Object ID #||BROAD.009.001|