|Object ID #||CHARLOTTE.040.01|
|Title||40 Charlotte Street (Jonah M. Venning House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1831. The Venning House stands on a lot sold in the 18th century to carpenter Samuel Harn of nearby Middlesex and subsequently acquired by a Hampstead (East Side) butcher, John Eberley Halsall. Venning, a lumber merchant and factor with extensive interests in the Mount Pleasant area, bought the lot and 3 years later built this 3-story wood single house, which faces the street in the plantation style. It has been suggested by architectural historians that this is one of the oldest Greek Revival houses in Charleston, and heavy Tuscan columns, simple cornice, and rectilinear transom door architraves indicate this influence.
File contains HCF staff research notes (scant); newspaper article (DYKYC); house history from Information for Guides of Historic Charleston.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
Mazyckborough and Wraggborough
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|