|Title||34 Chalmers Street (Benjamin McInnes House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Formerly the location of late 18th century wooden tenements, the site of 34-38 Chalmers Street was purchased in 1816 by the owner of the adjacent property, Dr. William Wightman. Wightman left these properties to his free black daughter Jane Prevost (Wightman). The 3½-story brick building at 34 Chalmers Street was constructed after 1850 with the purchase of the lot by the blacksmith Benjamin McInnes. It remained a smith's shop and livery stable until the early years of the 20th century and continues in the hands of his descendants.
File contains house histories from the City of Charleston Tour Guide Training Manual; photocopy of photograph of 34-36 Chalmers Street (unattributed, undated, source not identified).
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||CHALMERS.034.1|