|Title||50 Church Street (E.J.F. Fischer House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1888-89. This Queen Anne style house, like its single house neighbors at 46 and 48 Church Street, was constructed after the earthquake of 1886. Built by E.J.H. Fischer by 1889, the dwelling replaced an early-18th century brick Baptist meeting house that had become a chapel for seamen called the Mariners Church. The church incurred heavy damage in the earthquake and sold this property to Fischer. The 2-story wood house follows the side-hall plan and has detailing such as heavy bracketed cornice and balustrade bay window more often found on houses in the area west of Legare Street.
File contains house history from City of Charleston Tour Guide Training Manual (2011); news article (ca. 1930); 1886 Earthquake Damage Assessment ("Mariner's Church"); Hurricane Hugo Damage Assessment; BAR application (2004).
All documents available (pdf) via Media link.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||CHURCH.050.1|