|Object ID #||BULL.048.001|
|Title||48 Bull Street (Emanuel Antonio House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1786-1808; additions 1813 and after 1852. This masonry dwelling with a one-story front piazza; a 2-story, six-bay facade; and a hipped roof with a projecting pediment has long interested neighborhood residents and Charleston historians seeking its origins. Recent research has shown that it began as a 2- or 3-room dwelling of the post-Revolutionary period constructed before 1808 by Isaac Holmes, a Johns Island planter, for Emanuel Antonio, a Charleston merchant. Conveyed by Antonio in 1808 to Peter Suau, the house and parcel of Antonio's original lot passed through six different owners before its acquisition in 1816 by the Hamilton family, who retained it until 1837. It was then sold to Samuel Seyle, who lived here until 1856. The house became numerous apartments at the beginning of World War II, and an additional building for more apartments was constructed. Since 1989 the house has undergone significant restoration.
File contains report entitled "48 Bull Street: Past and Future, the Life and Times of a Remarkable Charleston House" by Robert P. Stockton, prepared for Bull Street Associates, May 1990; architectural drawings as part of BAR submittal of 6/29/2005 and revisions dated 10/13/2005 (floor plans, as-built plans, demolition plan, site plan, elevations); Rosen and Associates (engineers) inspection notes (1988); Hurrican Hugo damage/site inspection report by Charles N. Cox (1990).
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|