|Object ID #||ANSON.069-71.001|
|Title||69-71 Anson Street (Thomas Doughty House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1806; restored 1960. At the death of Daniel Legare, his daughter Mary Legare, wife of Thomas Doughty, inherited the lot. The Doughtys had apparently constructed a previous house on the site, replacing it by 1806 with the present structure. The dwelling has an unusual T-shaped plan that allows for windows on three sides of the principal rooms. A chambered staircase stands at the north end of the center hall. On the exterior the simple brick face is ornamented by a curvilinear, Anglo-Dutch style brick screen. On the interior the building contains finely detailed Adamesque woodwork. (Poston: Buildings of Charleston.)
File contains two files contain documentation of the covenant on the property; title to real estate (describing restrictions); annual inspection reports; requests for alterations; correspondence and other documentation related to the sale and/or management of the property and/or of the covenant itself; historical/research information; architectural drawings; paint sample; photocopies of photographs; newspaper articles; copy of HCF easement information card (TMS number, year of construction, significant resident(s), deed research, deed restrictions, measurements, and tax information); original Title to Real Estate conveying the property to HCF in 1959; narrative about the house written by former owner; house history from Landmarks in Use tour (3/7/1965).
See Covenant/Easement Inspection Photo Files for inspection photography.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
Ansonborough Rehabilitation Project (ARP)
1 Covenant/Management Folder
1 History/Miscellaneous Folder
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|