|Object ID #||BEDONS.005.001|
|Title||5 Bedon's Alley (William Cunnington House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1779. This house is unusual in that it was constructed during the Revolution; built of bricks made by a local brickmaker named Moore whose product was considered worth mentioning in an advertisement for the sale of the property in 1784. Capt. Anthony Toomer, a noted local builder, was the contractor. William James Cunnington, a prosperous merchant, built a single house, 2 bays wide and used it both as a "countinghouse" or office on the first floor and elegant residence above. George Whitfield, who purchased the property in 1794, added the 3-story south wing in 1794 and redecorated the house in the then popular Adamesque style. Whitfield retained the property until 1820. William Doran, owner of a stevedoring business, and his descendants retained the property from 1857 to 1980. During the bombardment of the city by Federal guns during the Civil War, Doran opened the house to refugees, as it has thick walls. Tradition holds that America's oldest musical organization, the St. Cecilia Society, was founded in this building.
File contains FOHG house history (1993); newspaper article "House Built During Revolution" dated 4/7/1980 (DYKYC); house history from Information for Guides of Historic Charleston.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|