|Object ID #||BROAD.119.001|
|Title||119 Broad Street (Morton Waring House a/k/a Chancery Office of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Charleston)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1803; renovated ca. 1890-1900. Built by the local factor Morton Waring in 1803, this structure originally stood as a large 3½ story, exposed brick Charleston single house. Waring sold the property, following severe financial reversals in 1811, to Mordecai Cohen. Cohen, who immigrated to Charleston from Poland as a peddler in the 1780s, rose to be a banker and merchant, and was considered to be the second-wealthiest man in South Carolina by 1830. However, Cohen, too, experienced financial losses, and he was forced to sell this property in 1844. The house was owned in the late 19-century by the Smith and Heyward families, who significantly altered the building with the addition of a marble veneer at the turn of the century. The principal three-bay facade now features marble quoining, marble console brackets over the first-floor windows, and a masked piazza, although the house retains its early-Neoclassical piazza door screen. In 1961 the Roman Catholic Diocese of Charleston purchased the house for office space.
File contains narrative history and historical research notes; article featuring its award of a Preservation Society plaque.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|