|Title||24 Bull Street (Benjamin Lucas House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1858; rehabilitated 1969. Benjamin Lucas, a builder or contractor who also served as city building inspector in the 1860s, bought this lot in 1858 five years after it was carved out of the Blacklock property. Constructed in the plantation style version of the Charleston single-house plan with double-tiered piazzas facing the street, this 3½ story stuccoed house has fine mid-19th century decoration with stone window lintels and sills and corner quoining. The house passed to female members of the Lucas family in the 1880s and served for more than 40 years as the Lucas Academy, a school for young ladies. The sisters probably added the substantial rear addition at this time. For much of the 20th century the house deteriorated in its use as eleven apartments. A 1969 restoration by Richard Jenrette, of New York and Charleston, converted it into five units.
File contains HCF staff research notes (scant); newspaper article (DYKYC); documentation of the covenant on the buildings (Deed, 3/12/1971); right of first refusal documentation.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||BULL.024.001|