Historic Charleston Foundation logo

images banner
images banner small

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object ID # BROAD.028.001
Title 28 Broad Street (James Gregorie House)
Object Type Property File
Scope & Content Constructed 1791; various 19th and 20th century renovations. This 18th-century merchant's residence originally possessed a countinghouse and store on the first floor, family quarters above, and anterior dependencies for both domestic and commercial use. The building retains the original arched brick windows on the 2nd story, indicating the former location of the family's drawing rooms. A lost formal garden at the rear of Gregorie's property along Chalmers Street was once the domain of Mary Christiana Hopton Gregorie, whose mother, Sarah Hopton, was one of Charleston's leading early gardeners. Except for the fine upper brick facade, the property now bears little resemblance to its 1797 appearance. Becoming law offices by the mid-19th century, it is now headquarters for one of South Carolina's oldest law firms. The exterior brick cornice and 1st-floor granite storefront represent 19th century changes to the building. The original kitchen and washhouse have been incorporated into the current legal office complex at the rear, as has the ca. 1791 William Rouse building at 26 Broad Street, with its later Italianate style facade. (Buildings of Charleston.)

File contains excerpt from Vernacular Architecture of Charleston and the Lowcountry; house history from Information for Guides of Historic Charleston (1984); house history from City of Charleston Tour Guide Training Manual (2011); photocopy of 1797 plat; description and plat of James Gregorie's garden from Charleston Garden Plats (Richardson, 1943).
Subjects Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
Search Terms Broad Street
Walled City
Physical Description 1 File Folder
Related Records Show Related Records...