|Title||90 Ashley Avenue (Joseph Glover House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1838; renovated ca. 1881-90. Originally completed as a fairly typical masonry single house, the dwelling at 90 Ashley Avenue was altered with significant Victorian changes in the 19th century. Dr. Joseph Glover built this house on a lot purchased by his trustee in 1825 from the Harleston family, apparently using the building as a rental. At the time of his death in 1838, Edward Simons resided in this house, however, it was left to Glover's son. After ownership by the Chisolm family in the 1840s, the property passed to the Keith family, who lived at 96 Ashley Avenue and rented this building to Amelia Parker, a free person of color. In the 1880s, the house became the property of the Toale family, owners of a building-and-supply company on Hayne Street and a sash-and-blind factory on Ashley Avenue and Beaufain Street. Although the original house and the dependency were joined before the war with a hyphen addition (a practice normally followed after 1865), Queen Anne style changes were made to the front facade, including the semicircular bay window and the patterned triangular panel in the top of the gable in the surmounting finial.
File contains HCF staff research notes; FOHG house history (2002); newspaper articles (DYKYC); house history from Information for Guides of Historic Charleston; two other house histories, one by unidentified author and one authored by David A. Farrow and Marie F. Holling; chapter on Dr. Joseph Glover from History of Medicine in S.C.
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||ASHLEY.090.001|