|Title||216 Ashley Avenue (Thomas Waring House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed ca. 1853 by Thomas R. Waring, cashier for the Bank of the State of South Carolina. Initially built perhaps as a rental property, as he is not listed as an occupant until the 1861 census. Waring died in 1871, leaving the property to his wife, Anna D. Waring, who then sold it in 1881 for $3,350. This mid-19th century Charleston house contains architectural elements popularized by the Italianate Style. Wide eaves with decorative cornices and arched piazza openings are just a few details which accentuate this structure. Wood columns with cast iron capitals in the Tower of the Winds tradition of the Greek Corinthian order are another important aspect of this building. It has a hall and parlor plan and a south-facing piazza, typically Charleston. Original woodwork and plaster work still remain in the interior.
File contains house history from The Vernacular Architecture of Charleston and the Lowcountry; house history from Information for Guides of Historic Charleston (1984); chain-of-title research notes; News & Courier article (DYKYC, 1981); photocopies of the original floor plan and original elevation (from SCHS files).
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
Radcliffeborough and Cannonborough
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||ASHLEY.216.001|