|Title||32 Ann Street (S.C. Railway Warehouse)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Part of the South Carolina Railroad complex in the Ann and John Streets area between King and Meeting, built ca. 1848 after draymen and wharf and warehouse owners blocked the Railroad’s desire to bring its tracks to the Cooper River dock. This structure is one of the brick warehouses in the complex, built in mid-Victorian style, possibly designed by Charleston architect Edward C. Jones, once known as the Gas Engine Building and later purchased by the Charleston Trident Chamber of Commerce for use as its headquarters and executive briefing center. Designated as part of a National Historic Landmark which also includes the William Aiken House at 456 King Street.
File contains newspaper article with scant mention of the building; description from National Register Nomination form (1981); excerpt from City of Charleston Tour Guide Training Manual (2011).
Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
Railroad companies--South Carolina--Charleston
Railroad stations--South Carolina--Charleston
South Carolina Railroad
Southern Railway Company
Visitor Reception and Transportation Center (VRTC)
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||ANN.032-40.001|