|Title||21-23 Archdale Street (Samuel Wilson Houses)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed 1808-15; restored and rehabilitated mid-20th century. Dr. Samuel Wilson constructed these similar 3-story brick single houses on a portion of the Mazyck lands inherited by his wife, Catherine Mazyck, granddaughter of the Huguenot immigrant Isaac Mazyck. Wilson built 23 Archdale first, but by 1808, the Wilson family was living in 21 Archdale Street at the corner of Magazine and Archdale Streets. Wilson left in his will the house at 23 Archdale to his son William Handy Wilson, and left the slightly larger and later house at 21 Archdale to his son Dr. Isaac Mazyck Wilson. The houses were among a number of properties purchased in 1840 by Etienne Poincignon. Although both houses have exceptional brickwork laid in Flemish bond, 23 Archdale retains its original piazza door screen, as well as much of its original exterior and interior Federal details. It is one of Charleston's best houses of the Adamesque period. By contrast, significant Greek Revival style alterations mark 21 Archdale, including the pedimented dormers, the piazza columns and balustrade, and the piazza door screen with its carved anthemion motifs ornamenting the overhang and the scrolled pilasters. These houses were saved and restored by John Muller, a leading Charleston preservationist.
File contains house history; features from Preservations Progress; and newspaper article (DYKYC).
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||ARCHDALE.021-23.001|