Historic Charleston Foundation logo

images banner
images banner small

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title 143 Calhoun Street (Knights of Columbus Hall)
Object Type Property File
Scope & Content Constructed 1907; repaired after fire 1947. Decimus C. Barbot, architect; J. T. Snelson, Contractor. This brick, Gothic style building on a high basement continues to house the Charleston Chapter of the Knights of Columbus, a Catholic men's fraternal order dedicated to charitable causes. In 1923 the building served as the venue for a speech by the Irish leader Eamonn DeValera, later the first president of the Irish Republic. DeValera was invited by then mayor John P. Grace to speak at the County Hall on Upper King Street. Grace, Charleston's first Irish Catholic mayor, was forced by local opinion to move the speech from the public site to this building. In 1947 a fire gutted the upper story; repairs were accomplished through a loan of $12,000 from Charleston's Episcopal churches.

File contains HCF staff research notes; copy of bill from J.M. Connelley, Furnishing Undertaker and Practical Embalmer, with office and warerooms at 143 Calhoun Street (dated 5/1/1887).
Subjects Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
Fraternal organizations
Search Terms Calhoun Street
Ansonborough
Physical Description 1 File Folder
Related Records Show Related Records...
Object ID # CALHOUN.143.01