|Object ID #||ASHLEY.175.001|
|Title||175 Ashley Avenue (Waring Historical Library)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
This brick, octagonal building trimmed in stone and Gothic in style was constructed as the library for the Porter Military Academy in 1893-1894, and was a gift from the Reverend Charles Frederick Hoffman, rector of All Angels Episcopal Church in NY. Designed by the NY architectural firm J.B. Snooks, Co., the building now houses the Waring Historical Library of the South Carolina Medical Society. The square meeting rooms of the Waring Library contain medical texts and other artifacts related to medical instruction. See also, ASHLEY.167.001.
File contains brief history of the building (source unidentified) and a postcard of the building.
Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
Porter Military Academy (Charleston, S.C.)
Radcliffeborough and Cannonborough
National Register of Historic Places
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|