|Object ID #||CHURCH.019.01|
|Title||19 Church Street (George Williams Coach House)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed 1875; rehabilitated 1940. Originally the coach house for George Williams' house on Meeting Street , now commonly known as the Calhoun Mansion, this structure was adapted to modern residential use in 19438 by Humphrey W. Chadbourne, a nationally known mining engineer. The square, quoined building with hipped roof was modified with Georgian Revival style windows, an arched doorway, and a projecting pediment. The eastern section, along Church Street, of the enclosing brick wall is original, while the south and west walls are 1940s additions. The garden was designed by Loutrel Briggs in 1940.
File contains FOHG house history (1994); FOHG history of the garden; other narrative histories; newspaper articles (including DYKYC); sketch of the garden (1991); HCF staff research notes (scant).
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|