Historic Charleston Foundation logo

images banner
images banner small

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Title 19 East Battery (Julius M. Visanska House)
Object Type Property File
Scope & Content Constructed 1920. Albert Simons, architect. This 2-story, yellow brick house on a high foundation was designed for a prominent haberdasher by Charleston's leading restoration architect, Albert Simons. The house replaced the notable Federal style Holmes Mansion, which had been the first of the great Battery houses completed after the removal of Fort Mechanic following the War of 1812. The Holmes Mansion was wrecked in the hurricane of 1911 and was taken down shortly thereafter. It's lot had already been subdivided in the late 19th century for the construction of 17 East Battery. Simons's design reflects a curious mix of features, including corner brick quoining, Renaissance style loggia entry, and tripartite windows in the Greek Revival manner. Local tradition holds that Visanska asked Simons to design a house that resembled a mansion he admired in Atlanta. Charlestonians raised eyebrows at the expensive interior details including parquet floors and the costly yellow brick on the exterior. The residence was taken over by the Navy in 1942, which used it for the duration of World War II. (An 1896 weatherboarded residence to the east at 17 East Battery was also dressed up in the early 20th century in the Colonial Revival style. This house has remained in the Mevers family since 1922.)

File contains newspaper article (1942); excerpt (captioned photograph) from "Lost Examples of Colonial Architecture" (Howells, 1963).
Subjects Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston
Search Terms Eighteenth-Century Expansion
East Battery
Physical Description 1 File Folder
Related Records Show Related Records...
Object ID # EBATTERY.019.1