|Title||85 Calhoun Street (Arch Building/Visitors Information Center)|
|Object Type||Property File|
|Scope & Content||
Constructed c. 1800; renovated c. 1850, 1967. Owned through most of the 19th century by the James English family and descendants, the building has an unusually wide first-floor center archway that has been thought to denote a use of the property as a way station for freight wagons in the years prior to the development of railroads. Although the upper floors were generally occupied as residences, the first floor of the building housed grocers, dry goods stores, taverns, and a restaurant at various dates prior to its disuse after World War II. It was the only building saved in this block from the auditorium project. Historic Charleston Foundation acquired a long term lease on the structure and rehabilitated it as a site for the first Chamber of Commerce Visitor Information Center. In October 2002, the Charleston Civic Design Center began its operations in the building.
File contains correspondence and other documents relating to the renovations made in the mid-1960s, including a report detailing the work to be done (Lucas and Stubbs, Architects); Historic Education Discussion Group memorandum relating to the establishment of a Center for Heritage Education at the Arch Building; 1966 plat; drawings of the building; newspaper article (DYKYC).
|Subjects||Historic buildings--South Carolina--Charleston|
|Physical Description||1 File Folder|
|Related Records||Show Related Records...|
|Object ID #||CALHOUN.085.01|